14 May Ways to Celebrate National Smile Month
May 14, 2018 – June 14, 2018 is National Smile Month. This month was created by health professionals in the United Kingdom to bring awareness to the importance of good dental health. By celebrating this month yourselves, you can encourage others to care about their dental health. Here’s a list of ways you can celebrate.
- Schedule a dental checkup. We recommend visiting your dentist twice a year for a routine exam and professional cleaning to reduce the risk of developing serious dental issues.
- Make good oral hygiene practice a priority for everyone in your family. In our busy world, taking care of ourselves often takes a backseat, and while brushing our teeth first thing in the morning is typically a priority for everyone, it’s easy to neglect brushing and flossing at bedtime. Set a reminder on your phone or post sticky notes in areas your family frequents in the home to remind everyone to brush their teeth twice a day and floss daily. Simple notes like “Have you flossed today?” may be all it takes to make good oral hygiene a routine part of your family’s day.
- Take a post-dental checkup or post-daily dental routine selfie. Encourage your friends and family to schedule their 2018 dental checkups by sharing a photo and post about your own experience at the dentist’s office. You can also encourage them to practice good daily oral hygiene by posting selfies of your smile after you’ve brushed and flossed. Use the hashtag #NationalSmileMonth to help your post trend on social media.
- Share a smile with a stranger every single day. Taking care of emotional and mental health is just as important as taking care of your oral and physical health. Sharing a smile with someone you don’t know may not solve all of their problems, but it could just give them a brighter outlook for the day.
- Make eating healthier foods and reducing the amount of sugary and acidic foods and beverages in your diet a priority. Your daily diet greatly affects your dental health. Excessive amounts of sugary or acidic foods and beverages wreak havoc on your teeth and gums. Make a point to check food and drink labels for sugar and acid content, drink more water throughout the day and replace at least one sugary snack with a healthy, fibrous snack like carrots, celery, and apples.
Throughout the month of May 2018, Renew Dental is celebrating National Smile month by offering our in-office bleaching tray whitening treatment for ½ off the regular price. We also offer a number of cosmetic dental solutions to restore your smile to its former glory or to finally give you the smile you’ve always wanted. Schedule your cosmetic dental appointment with Renew Dental today.